Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Drum Shade For Ceiling Fan

 
I scanned the web searching for ideas I have seen in the past for those that have changed the look of their ceiling fans with drum shades.

Here are two I viewed and saved:



So I stopped by Goodwill after work today...no luck.

Then I stopped at Walmart and found the shade pictured above.  $10! Not too bad!  Plus it was not just white, it was embroidered with pretty details!



This is what my ceiling fan looked like 20 minutes ago.


Pretty plain and simple.




This is how it looked before I took the plastic off, in case I had to take it BACK to Walmart!


Attaching it like it would be on a lamp did not work, as it was too close to the blades.  The shade turned with the fan on and the chains wrapped around and tangled!  Attaching it as shown worked GREAT!!


































This weekend I plan to paint the fan blades and maybe the blade holders; we will see.  Pretty simple change for $10 and I like it!
  

shabby creek cottage

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh and I just simply SCREWED the bulb in! That's all!

Pat@Life At Lydias House said...

Visiting from Wow Us Wednesday. Great project. It certainly updates the ceiling fan. Nice job!

Unknown said...

Thanks Pat!

Connie said...

This is such a lovely way to up date your fixture. Great job!
I have been enjoying going through some of your posts and they are delightful. I found you through mutual followers and I hope that you will become a mutual follower, too.
Your new blogging sister, Connie :)

Unknown said...


Thanks for you post and nice comments Connie! And welcome to my world!! I headed to become apart of your! :)

Connie said...

Good morning! I was so excited to see that you were following . . . I appreciate your new friendship and I'm looking very forward to sharing new ideas.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Your new blogging sister, Connie :)

Richella Parham said...

That's really cool! A big change for not much money--that's my kind of improvement! :)

Brandi said...

Such a nice difference. I love the pattern on the shade.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. To hang the boxwood wreath, I used a 3M command hook. You can purchase them at Target or any hardware store.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Really simple with a fabulous outcome! Love the details on the shade too!

Staci Severns said...

Great job finding the perfect lampshade! I’m glad that you were able to find a way to use it even though putting it on the normal way didn’t quite work. I love the embroidery patterns on the lampshade. Do they cast some sort of pattern on the walls when you turn the lights on?